Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I CHOOSE TO BE UNCOMMON.......

I Do Not Choose to Be a Common Man


Today I was listening to Les Brown and has he recite the words from “I Do Not Choose to Be a Common Man” by Dean Alfange and I was amazed because I was thinking about the phrase “being uncommon” earlier in the morning. I replayed the record over-and-over about five times because the words were so profound as it strikes a chord in me. The words from the poem goes like this:

I Do Not Choose to Be a Common Man, by Dean Alfange

It is my right to be uncommon—if I can.

I seek opportunity—not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me.

I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed.

I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia.

I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any master nor bend to any threat.

It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say, “This I have done.”

We all have a choice. Life’s going to come at us it doesn’t matter what we choose to do, either to be common or uncommon. Being uncommon is where we can show our authentic self and do what we love, show our creativity and stand for something, because then is when we know that we matter. 

What type of life style do you want for yourself? Sometimes the life style you want will cause you to step outside of your comfort zone and people may call you crazy. I said this to a friend about eight (8) years ago-If you are crazy enough to think that you can change the world, you might just do it. So don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t, because the sameness lifestyle should be evicted from our daily living. We can’t live our lives in someone else’s shadow. It is okay to be uncommon; it’s just because you refused to conform to someone else’s ideology.

Be You! All others are taken!

Check more on Facebook @ MOSES Njoroge or 

More on www.njorogemoses.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment